Don´t underestimate your tongue. It does a lot for you. It helps you taste what you are eating, it helps the food to stay between the teeth as you are chewing, it helps when swallowing the food, and of course it helps you in speaking. The conclusion, it has an important and large function in our life. And above all of this, it is the strongest muscle in the body. Next time you´re at the gym you might want to do some tongue sit ups as well.
For us who live in the Northern Hemisphere the autumn is here and soon the winter will come. The season is changing and as we are moving away from the warm summer nights to a more chilly climate. In this period a lot of people manage to get a cold, the flu or even worse, pneumonia. Below is a list of factors to keep in mind in order to avoid getting sick, until the season has completely changed and our bodies has adapted to the new climate. It is simple, but we tend to forget the basics.
- C-vitamins: Fill the fridge with c-vitamin filled food such as oranges, passion fruit, kiwi, red pepper, lemon, spinach etc.
- Dress warm for outside and not inside: Many do the reverse, when choosing clothes you might think “well it´s only 5 minutes to the bus stop, then I will be in the bus and metro which is warm, and then only 10 minutes to walk to the office”. With these thoughts you choose something thinner, and ignore the cap and gloves. Not a good idea, yes, 15-20 minutes is not much but it does its harm. Put on a little more clothes, take an extra sweater, gloves, cap and scarf, and if it gets too warm in the bus/metro take it off (Don’t be lazy!). The bus might be late, the metro stuck and you will be standing outside with only a think jacket and freezing, lowering the body temperature and as you sit on the metro the temperature goes up again, and down again in the distance walking to get to wherever you are going. You got the point, right? These fluctuations in the body temperature is one reason we get sick so as said before, dress for the outside and not the inside.
- The head and feet: keep these two body parts warm. If it is wet outside and your shoes are not the optimal, bring an extra pair of socks with you and change as you reach your destination. The head is an important point as well since 70% of the body head is released from the top of our body. If you are bald this is even more important since you have more sensitive sinus.
- Don´t forget your hands: Even though you do not get sick other people do. Don´t stay away from people just because they are sick, but be especially careful when you are in public places as you touch a lot of different things that can contain many thousands of bacteria. So, clean your hands several times a day, either with soap or disinfectant gel. (This is a general advice you should keep in mind throughout the year).
- Strengthen your immune system: The most important point to remember is that the immune system is in the end what should be focused on as it is the defense of the body. During the autumn and winter eat balanced and meals with a lot of antioxidants, vitamins and likewise. Ginger and turnip are great for the immune system so try to incorporate these in your meal plan.
Stay warm and healthy and your body will be wealthy!
Until this week the “Video of the week” has been all about laughing (mostly at others) but this time we are changing things a little. The following video is especially for the gentlemen having trouble to get really how to tie a tie. Of course ladies, it is useful for us to know how to do it, in case we would like the gentlemen in this crucial task.
The video shows how to tie the most common knot, the Double Windsor knot.
You couldn´t get it right the first time? Just practice, practice, practice!
It is Thursday and almost weekend, and time to inspire all of you with a new drink recipe. This week I am providing you with a rhum based drink called Sailors cup.
What you need:
- 6 cl Rum
- 2 cl Orgeat syrup
- 1 cl Orange liqueur
- 1 dash Angostura
- Crushed ice
How to prepare:
- Mix the liquids and shake
- Add the crushed ice
- Garnish with mint
This delicious pasta is not for the one on a diet, but as everyone knows, you are allowed to cheat once in a while. Pasta Alfredo is a perfect dish to cheat with.
What you need:
- 500 grams Pasta (tagliatelle or linguini, fresh if possible)
- 3 table spoons Parsley (minced)
- 3 dl Cream
- 150 grams Parmesan cheese
- 90 grams Butter or margarine
- Chicken (works without if you want a vegetarian alternative)
- Salt and pepper
How to prepare:
- Roast the chicken in a pan (if using chicken)
- Grate the parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan
- Add the parmesan and cream to the butter as you stir it
- Add the parsley in the saucepan and mix
- Boil the pasta (if using dry pasta you should start boiling it earlier)
- Add the parmesan and chicken to the pasta and mix all together
Enjoy the high calorie dish of Pasta Alfredo
Camels are known for being able to last for weeks without water. The store a large amount of the water in their hump and are able to walk around in the desert without any water and survive. They sure are persevering animals. But, there is another animal on the planet that survives even longer than the camel. Sorry camels, you are defeated by the tallest animal of the world, the giraffe. They can be without water longer than the camels thanks to their diet. To be more precise, the acacia leaves, their favorite food, is the secret behind their win against the camel. The leaves contain a lot of water and as the giraffe can eat more than 34 kg of food each day, their water intake is very high.
Sweden is cold, especially during the winter. There is a lot of snow and ice and the temperature goes many degrees below zero. Many people run away from it, travel to warmer climate or stay where they are. In Jukasjärvi, a small little town located in Lapland, only 200 kilometers from the Arctic Circle, the snow, ice and cold is exactly what attracts people from all over the world.
The Icehotel was inspired by Japanese ice sculptors who in 1989 visited Jukasjärvi and created an exhibition of ice sculptures. One year after the artist Jannot Derid was invited to hold a vernissage which was placed in a specially created igloo located by the Torne river. The vernissage had many visitors and due to the fully booked hotel in the city, the visitors requested for permission to sleep in the exhibition area. In that point, Ice hotel was created.
The Ice Hotel is a staggering 5500 square meters and created only by using ice and snow. Every year the design of the hotel is changed and rebuilt all over again from scratch. A total of approximately 1000 tons of ice is used. The hotel is constructed in 5 steps and the first part is ready the first weekend of December and the complete hotel in January. In addition to having room for over 100 guests, the hotel also incorporates a church and a bar as well.
Below you find a short video of the Ice Hotel.
It is always fun to scare someone, any way that you do it, the reaction and especially face expression of the person should end up on a big poster in the living room. But, you should be careful and remember that one day it might be your turn.
Well, this might not be the best way to hit back but everyone reacts different to fear, right?
What you need (4 Mojitos):
- White rum
- Fresh mint leaves
- 4 Lime
- Crushed ice
- Soda/carbonated water/ginger ale
- 4 table spoons brown sugar
How to prepare:
- Cut the lime into smaller pieces and put in a glass together with brown sugar and the mint leaves
- Use a muddler to crush the ingredients until the lime juice is released
- Fill the glass with the crushed ice
- Add rum (depending on how strong you want it add more) and soda (preferably with lime/lemon taste, ginger ale works as well)
- Mix the drink and serve
There are many variations that can be made to a Mojito, you can add fresh fruits to the drink such as strawberry and raspberry etc. Add and muddle the fruit before adding the ice and liquid.
There are more interesting facts to a yawn that you would think, just look at the list below:
- It is highly contagious
- It has no cure and not a scientific reason why it is contagious
- Even by looking at someone yawning or a picture of it you automatically do it
- An average person yawns 4-6 times per day
Did you yawn reading this post or looking at the picture? I did. I yawned 4 times meanwhile writing this post and looking at pictures of people yawning.